All the answers to your unique business lifestage questions
As an SME owner, you have to inspire your team to greatness. Good leaders have a way of making people feel that they are at the very heart of things, and that what they do makes a real difference to the success of the business. Follow these communication tips to achieve all this.
- Pay attention to your employees. It is surprising how little some bosses know about their staff. Listen to what employees say.
- Make time for them. Regular one-on-one meetings with your employees are crucial. Talk about their career goals and how you see them growing in their jobs.
- Warn people about changes. Don't forget to tell someone the things that they need to know in order to do their job effectively.
- Put out a consistent message about your values. Knowing who you are, and what you stand for, can help your employees make better decisions on their own.
- Avoid surprises. Confront performance issues immediately. Don't wait for the annual staff review - use this to recap what has already been discussed.
- Learn to speak to groups. You don't have to join a toastmaster's club, but make sure you can address groups of staff effectively. If you can't, you will lose credibility.
- Don't hide behind emails. Discuss delicate matters in person. When emotions are involved, emails can easily lead to miscommunication.