New business, new you. There’s an important link between our emotions and our business success.
All the answers to your unique business lifestage questions
Have you ever stopped to consider the personal changes that you will need to embrace when you become an entrepreneur or franchise owner?
As a part of the human race, we are largely governed by our emotions and these emotions will determine, to a major extent, how we choose toBEin our businesses. Whether we acknowledge it or not, choices are based on how we feel about ourselves as a person. Negative behavioural choices are based on fear. Fear of not being good enough, fear of others proving to be more skilled than we may be, fear of failure.
Related: Why a winning mindset can make or break your business
The good news is that you can greatly enhance productivity and the success of your business by ensuring thatYOUchoose positive behavioural choices. Consider the following:
- Choose to be a person of integrity. Decide on your core values and stick with them. Be a person of your word.
- Choose assertion over aggression. Assertion means simply that you express your wishes firmly and with confidence. Aggressive behaviours build walls and lead to counter-productivity.
- Make choices that are good for youto leave you feeling happy and fulfilled. Being a business owner is never going to be a ‘bed-of-roses’. Challenges and obstacles are inevitable. Finding positive solutions and acknowledging mistakes as learning opportunities will greatly reduce stress and result in positive outcomes.
- Make personal growth a priority in your life. You will never stop learning as long as you are willing to allow this in your life. Listen to the opinion of others with the purpose of learning. No matter how skilled you believe yourself to be in your field, you will never know everything about everything.
- Be willing to recognise and acknowledgewhen you have made a mistake. Expect this from your employees as well. In this way, the problem can be addressed way more effectively.
- Choose to treat your staff in the way you wish to be treated. Respect and honour yourself so that you can respect others. The way you choose to deal with the most challenging of staff will be a reflection of who you choose to be as a person. Again-choose to be assertive rather than aggressive.
- Take care of your physical health. Eat healthily, get enough rest and exercise.
Related: 3 Actionable insights to make your investment pitch perfect
We all look for meaning, purpose, happiness and fulfilment in our lives. Owning a business is not always easy. If you want to make the money you deserve and you want to do this in a way that makes you feel happy and fulfilled, thenyou need to work on YOU first.