All the answers to your unique business lifestage questions
Having your company website hosted by a third-party provider has long been the de facto option for businesses looking to have an Internet presence. Now, as bandwidth becomes ever more available and affordable, having all or most of one's IT needs hosted by a third party provider is also becoming increasingly attractive.
The business case for IT hosting is strong:
- It is the best option for those who don't have enough money up-front to invest in new hardware and software.
- You don't need to worry about infrastructure maintenance and administration as the hosting provider handles this.
- It is an excellent option for smaller operations that don't have their own dedicated IT staff to handle day-to-day system maintenance, or those whose IT staff are already overtaxed with other projects.
- No hardware investment is required.
- Backups, maintenance and upgrades are done seamlessly for you.
You may want to outsource the management of your entire technology infrastructure, based on your unique hardware, software, maintenance, management, support and back-up requirements. At the other end of the spectrum, you may just want your servers to be hosted in a secure Data Centre.
Whatever you require, your service provider should be able to tailor a solution that meets your needs at a price you can afford.
Remember, however, that while price is important - and service providers like MWEB Business have committed themselves to slashing the cost of business computing - there is often a thin line between an affordable, aggressively priced solution and a "cheap and nasty" experience.
- Do your homework; compare what is being offered and look out for hidden extras. If your service provider offers optional extras, know precisely what these are and how much they are going to add to your total bill.
- Before signing on the dotted line, check that the data centre is physically secure and includes sophisticated security and fire protection systems. It should also have back-up generators and uninterrupted power supplies to ensure that any power failures do not result in downtime.
- In addition, it should have experienced engineers onsite to maintain the centre 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
In effect, hosted services should give you peace of mind, delivering the speed, security and stability you need for your business systems, website, mail server or file server at a fraction of the cost of creating the same hosting environment yourself.